Wrap your hands around a warm mug of Maca Coffee for an all-natural, caffeine-free energy boost that’s loaded with nutrients. Here’s everything you need to know about this superfood-fueled way to enhance your morning cup of coffee (or replace it altogether)!
High in vitamins and nutrients, rich in protein, and loaded with energy-boosting properties, maca coffee is the naturally caffeine-free alternative to coffee you never knew you needed.
But what is maca, anyway? And why is it taking the breakfast blogs by storm? Below we’re taking a look at this powerful superfood, the benefits it offers, and how to use maca in 5 easy and delicious recipes. Maca coffee is more than just a trendy beverage, and you’ll see why.
What is Maca?
Maca coffee is a caffeine-free alternative to your morning cup of joe, made from energizing maca root powder. Maca root is native to Peru, also known as Peruvian ginseng, with adaptogenic properties that battle fatigue and increase stamina.
The root is roasted and prepared in a way that’s similar to coffee, but it doesn’t actually contain coffee. This makes maca coffee a good natural substitute that’s nutritious and energy-boosting, easy to prepare, and easy to customize.
What Are the Health Benefits of Maca?
When blended with milk and sweetener, or added to your cup of morning coffee, maca root powder offers a rich, nutty and caramel-like flavor along with a host of added benefits:
- High in Vitamins and Minerals. Maca powder brings all sorts of good stuff to the table: calcium, magnesium, iron, and potassium, along with vitamins C and E.
- Boosts Energy and Endurance. Maca root is an excellent source of antioxidants and nutrients that help to increase energy, stamina, and endurance. For the same reason, it’s also known as a libido and fertility enhancer.
- Improves Focus. Your brain also benefits from this Peruvian superfood! Maca is great for improving memory and concentration skills.
- Helps With Stress Management. Maca can improve your mood and help reduce stress and anxiety. Studies also show that it may help in reducing blood pressure.
- Supports Metabolism. Maca is dense in carbs and protein that work towards supporting a healthy metabolism.
You’ll find that as maca becomes a regular part of your diet, the more you’ll notice the benefits. Like most dietary supplements, consistency is key!
Is Maca Safe to Drink?
For the grand majority of people, maca powder is safe to consume. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have thyroid issues, it’s a good idea to err on the side of caution and check in with your healthcare provider before adding maca to your daily routine.
Ways to Use Maca Powder In Coffee
Maca powder can replace your morning brew altogether, or it can be added to other coffee recipes.
If you’re not avoiding caffeine altogether, nutrient-rich maca powder is a way to enhance your espresso, coffee, or cold brew with its health benefits. Or, add a shot of espresso to your maca latte for an extra caffeine kick.
What You’ll Need to Make Maca Coffee
Besides maca powder itself, you need minimal ingredients to make the perfect cup of maca coffee. Here are the basics of what you’ll need:
- Maca Root Powder. You’ll find different colors of maca powder, including yellow, red, and black maca. They all share many of the same health benefits and are found in most health stores, or online. Make sure to double-check labels and ingredients, as some brands come pre-blended with additional herbs, creamers, or even ground coffee beans. Stick to pure, roasted maca root for a 100% natural, caffeine-free drink that you can customize yourself.
- Milk. This can be any combination of milk or dairy-free alternative of your choosing. Whole milk, 2%, almond or cashew milk, coconut milk, and oat milk are all good options for a latte-style drink. If you’d like, you can dissolve maca powder in hot water, too.
- Sweetener. It’s best to use a natural sweetener, like honey, agave, maple syrup, or coconut sugar. Feel free to use any sweetener of choice though, or leave it out altogether.
- Spice. Cinnamon is a popular choice, but you can flavor your maca coffee to your liking with other spices like nutmeg, cardamom, mixed spice, or turmeric (like in a golden latte). See below for delicious maca coffee recipes!
Easy Maca Coffee Recipes to Try
Ready to try your own maca coffee at home? Check out these 5 energizing maca recipes to give your day a superfood-fueled, caffeine-free boost.
Vegan & Caffeine-Free Maca Latte
You only need 5 ingredients to whip up this easy vegan maca latte! This is a rich and creamy, caffeine-free recipe that’s naturally energizing.
Learn how to enhance your morning coffee with maca! This easy recipe is naturally sweetened, infused with rich flavor, and easy to customize.
Miracle Maca Latte
Reap all the benefits of maca powder with this miracle latte recipe that’s perfect to boost your energy, stimulate fertility, and balance hormones.
Hazelnut Vanilla Maca Coffee
Learn how to make maca coffee infused with the smooth flavors of vanilla and hazelnut. This recipe is made with coffee and has added collagen peptides for improved skin and joint health!
Golden Maca Latte
This golden maca latte recipe combines two plant-powered superfoods to make one delicious and nourishing drink. Bring together the anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric with the benefits of maca in this easy latte.